Recipe for Sourdough Starter:
- clean glass jar (preferably widemouthed)
- paper lunch bag
- lid for glass jar (not tight fitting)
- all purpose unbleached flour
- warm water (I tend to boil mine and cool it down)
Sterilize your jar with boiling water, and put in equal parts of water and flour. Mix with a plastic spoon, and cover with the lid to the jar, and place in a dark place. The starter should react in a couple of days with frothiness and start to feel spongy. Stir it to make it g faster. If the hooch (grain alcohol) is any color other than gray, dump it out - it has gone bad!
*** I managed to kill my starter on the way back from university residence - the yeasts overheated in a bag and had a very nasty yellow tint to the hooch. I had some dried starter which I started with again.. ***
Recipe for Sourdough Drop Biscuits:
- 1 cup starter
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- other flavour additions (I used a couple of sprinkles of Mrs Dash and in another batch, some italian seasoning)
Mix the starter with the oil. Sift together dry ingredients (salt can be increased if these are to be snacking biscuits or no gravy). Add to the oil and starter. Mix until fully incorporated. Drop by spoonfuls onto a baking pan, and bake at 350 for 20 minutes until fully done.